Monday, February 29, 2016

PSA: Hockey Players Not Welcome on Center Ice

For those of you who haven’t really skated before or are new to this like me, PSA center ice is for figure skaters. So, all you hockey players out there...you are not welcome. I haven’t been on the ice for very long and I’m already very annoyed with hockey players. They “ruin” the ice. Speed skating down the ice and stopping and or slamming into the boards is annoyingly frustrating. Just stop. Well, I can’t exactly ask you to stop, it’s open skate. However, I can politely ask you to get off of center ice!


There is a reason center ice is “reserved” for figure skaters. Clean ice is needed for jumps, spins, etc. It’s a lot more difficult to glide when the ice is torn up. Plus, it’s also super annoying to come out of a spin and almost get knocked down by a hockey skater zooming through the middle.


So, yes I understand it’s public ice time. I know many advanced skaters don’t even bother with that as practice time. But yesterday the rink was empty. There were no more than 10 people on the ice at a time. I think the hockey players can do their thing on the rest of the ice, a good 75%. Another PSA? Get your puck and stick off of open skate, they aren’t allowed and for good reason. It’s not safe! I don’t want to attempt a jump thinking that a puck could end up under my landing foot.

In other news, sharing center rink with a three year old yesterday was cute and very interesting. She got on to the ice for short periods of time (without any supervision by the way) and would come in to practice. Here’s the deal people. She is at a higher level than me. A three year old. It was cute, she’s an adorable little girl, but I couldn’t help but think how far I’d gotten if I had started at a younger age. Sure, this is a great endeavor for me as an adult, but I could have competed. I know that I have this in me. It’s just difficult to skate around with a three year old skating circles around me.


No comments:

Post a Comment