Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Where have I been the last few weeks? … Missing out

OMG. I cannot believe how much I’ve been missing out. I love my Saturday coach, she is the one who referred me after all, but the coaches on Wednesdays have so much more experience. Geeze. I feel like I’ve learned more in that half hour than I have in the last two sessions. The coaches today taught me how to skate as opposed to Saturday when I’m just told how to skate. Big difference. You see the coaches today actually told me what my toes need to be doing when I’m practicing swizzles (I have to squeeze them together to gain speed when I’m pulling my feet back together). I also learned where my weight should be when I am skating backwards, on the balls of my feet. Bits of information like this has  truly transformed my experience on the ice. Who knew that your toes had to be doing something particular while doing a move? I know I have a lot to learn, but just after this one session I’ve realized that skating is made up of lots of little parts. For example, when doing the one foot glides I need to push off of one foot, tighten my core, and pick up my foot allowing it touch the side of the boot that is still gliding on the ice.


I’m so glad that I am making up another class with these coaches next week and frankly Wednesday evenings work so much better in my schedule than Saturday mornings, so if I am going to start session two I should really consider switching into this class. The other thing that is awesome about this session is that there are fewer skaters, only 4 as compared to the 10 skaters on Saturday. AND no hockey skaters, woot woot! Definitely looking to spend some more time with these coaches!

No comments:

Post a Comment