Friday, February 26, 2016

I Need New Skates!!

It has become more apparent to me with every skating session that I need new skates. My recreational skates do not have good toe picks and the blades just don’t assist in spinning. I came off the ice yesterday with deep indents in my lower calf and pain in my knees and ankles from the lack of support in the boots.


Before learning to skate I had no idea there were different skates for different levels of skaters...and I had no idea how expensive they were! An “okay” beginner pair runs about $140 and a decent beginner pair is closer to $200. Nice skates for the mid-advanced skater run about $500-$2000, bet you didn’t see that one coming! I’ve dropped more than $70 in these last two days alone between paying for part of my L2S class, a private lesson, open skate, and my first sharpening. For skaters, this probably seems cheap, but for a beginner with an entry level job it’s a lot to drop in two days.


So naturally I’ve decided to pick up a part-time (temporary) job to cover the costs of skating. I’ve caught up to women in my L2S class who have been in it for 4 sessions (6 months). I’ve been able to do this because I’ve put in the extra time and effort on and off the ice. In order to continue doing so at an even faster pace I need the extra money to handle more classes, buy new skates, private lessons/ice time, and to join the skate club at my rink.


I’m coming at this skating thing with full speed!

__

So my coach just sent me a list of skates that I should consider buying for my level, they are way more expensive than I thought they would be. Any skaters out there have suggestions about models and or brands?

Riedell-
Motion 255 $315
Edge 229 $269
Flair 910 $410


**Shout out to my friend Rachel (changed for anonymity) who helped me come up with a clever name for this blog! Figuring (figure) Skating Out & Breaking the Ice **

No comments:

Post a Comment