Saturday, June 4, 2016

First Skating Competition

I cannot believe that I skated in my first competition today! A childhood dream come true. Though I didn’t nail every move, I tried my best and really enjoyed performing in front of the judges, my family, and friends. Going into this, I was so over competitions. I worked this program for about a month straight and didn’t learn many new things, just worked on perfecting what I’ve learned thus far in my journey...a perfectionist's’ dream come true, right? I am not a perfectionist. I want to learn new things and clean up my moves along the way. By the end of this last week I had reached a point of boredom. Ask me to do my program one more time. I dare you.

Nerves? What are those? Before the first day of school or a new job I rarely get any sleep, so I just assumed it would be the same before my first competition, but I happened to sleep like a baby last night. I woke up ready to go! I spent some of my morning stretching and warming up and then I went to get a relaxing manicure before heading home to get dressed. When I got to the rink I thought the nerves would kick in, but surprisingly nothing. I was calm as can be. My mom on the other hand... she was more nervous than I was! After seeing a skater my age fall on her knees, she got even more nervous!

It was my turn to warm up on the ice with the two other adult skaters, I had the opportunity to  skate my entire program and fix a couple elements, so I was confident when judging time came. I was first after warming up, lucky me! I got out there, smiled at the judges and made my way to the starting position. Though it wasn’t my best skating, it was my first competition and I am so happy with the results, after all I didn’t fall and make a fool of myself in front of family and friends #goals (I'll see if I can get a video up soon). Got myself a nice first place medal too, funny how that works when there’s no one competing in your level, haha! Hopefully next time I’ll have some actual competition.

Quick shout out to my readers: Thank you for supporting this blog and my skating endeavors, I wouldn’t keep this up if I didn’t have any readers so thank you for being one of them. You da best!



No comments:

Post a Comment