Wednesday, February 24, 2016

You Couldn't Wipe The Smile Off My Face If You Tried



Michigan finally decided to man up and dump a large sum of white on us. While this made me pretty happy (early dismissal at school today) it also completely threw off my schedule. I got home from school and began watching Gilmore Girls season 1, before I knew it so much time had passed and I was going to be late for class. I was in my car a half hour before ice time, which clearly was not enough time. I got stuck on the road for an hour! I missed practice time and got right on the ice for class, no time to get used to the ice. To say the least, I got almost nothing done in class. I used 15 minutes to warm up on the ice, for the next 10 minutes I worked with a younger coach on my crossovers and finally began the bunny hop on the ice. Very basic, but fun. I have some work to do, that’s for sure!

It’s interesting that in these last couple weeks the things and conversations that have occurred off the ice have been more motivating than my ice time. After class my coach went over a couple more stretches with me and then we walked over to the rink store to check out some skates, none of which were “to my potential level”. I need new skates, desperately...and I probably can’t drop the cash for another month or so. I know it will be worth it though because I’m in this for the long haul. I also left my skates today for their first sharpening, getting on the ice afterwards is going to be miserable.

When I got home the big news came! No work tomorrow due to inclement weather, for me of course, this is an excuse to drive to the rink for some much needed ice time. I could have made so much progress had I gotten on the ice before class today. Lesson learned, I cannot skate once a week at class, I need more ice time! I texted Coach T when I found out work was cancelled to see if I could get in for my first private lesson. I honestly didn’t think it would happen, seeing as I haven’t officially signed up for private lessons and it’s also super last second, but she said she was available! You couldn’t wipe the smile off my face if you tried.

I cannot believe that I have my first private lesson tomorrow. Sure class today was meh, but I’m hoping that my muscles are re-acquainted with the ice so that tomorrow I can rock it and make some progress. No gym for me tonight so that I can rest up, just a hot shower and good nights sleep in my future to get ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment