Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Mediocrity

I managed to finish work an hour early today so of course I sped over to the closest skating rink to get in a half hour of skating before the public session ended. It was mediocre. I hate the ice at this rink, but it’s okay for a quick skate if I absolutely need one. And today was one of those days that I felt I absolutely needed to get on the ice. I felt so empty in the last couple days because I haven’t been on the ice.


I got to the rink and immediately headed to the bathroom to change and get my knee pads on. Then I ran over to the front desk to pay, quickly got my skates on, and hopped on to the crappy sheet of ice (my home rink ice is so much better!). It was the second worst practice I’ve ever had (the first was new skates day). I couldn’t hold an edge, I felt like I could barely skate, as if I was getting on the ice in like the third week of this skating endeavor. I could stroke, but I felt miserable. I didn’t speed over to the rink today so that I could have a crappy practice. On the bright side there was only one other person on the ice, so I could move around and work on different skills without watching for people bumping into me.


It just occurred to me that one of the reasons I was so lost today was largely due to the fact that I didn’t warm up. Last week I got to the rink an hour before open skate. I would run laps around the rink, I would run up and down the stairs in the stadium, and I would do ballet stretches in the off ice room. Since I began warming up rigorously before getting on the ice I started to progress and learn new skills fairly quickly. I need not be disappointed about today. I love the fact that I got some practice time.


After getting off the ice, the other gentlemen that was on the ice stopped to ask about what I was writing in my notebook. Then he pulled out his own to show me that he does the same thing for golf, he writes down his experiences and tips/tricks in this tiny notebook. We talked for a while, I feel like he was sent to me from above because after that practice I was not in the greatest mood. He seemed to lift me out of my rut and wished me luck as we headed out.

Today was meh. Tomorrow is a three hour ice day. I will get back to where I was, I just know it! Plus, I worked on cutting my music for the program I am doing in June. If it’s ready to burn, I’ll get to start putting my program together tomorrow. Get excited! Woot!



No comments:

Post a Comment