Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Ice Time is Precious



Today I made the decision to sign up for another Learn to Skate class in addition to my Friday private lessons. After spending more than  20 hours on the ice last week (4 of which were lesson hours) , I can’t help but think that an hour lesson per week is not sufficient. Every moment I have on the ice is precious.


Since I was considering the edge program, I had the opportunity to warm up with them. I basically went to show the adult instructor my practice book, but she had me put it down so that she could see where I was, haha! Too bad forward crossovers are my worst enemy. I am so glad I didn’t make a fool of myself. Had I not skated earlier in the day, I would have failed miserably.  They started with forward crossovers, turn on an outside 3, backwards crossovers, step forward, then forward crossovers in the other direction to backwards crossovers. I definitely got a little workout from it, they go fast! Finally they did a couple lunges and headed to their separate classes.


The big decision came moments later, I needed to decide between the edge program or the adult evening class. After speaking with the new adult instructor I decided to go with the adult class for a couple reasons. For one, I really don’t know how I feel about learning to skate with children. Also, the adult class doesn’t have as many students and two others are at approximately the same level as me so I can get stuff done.


Unfortunately, after the adult class I realized that it’s really just going to be an opportunity for me to practice skills I know. Group sessions have become expensive practice sessions for me. I am not quite sure how long I’ll afford this, but for now it’s okay since I work most days and cannot make it to public ice.


I didn’t learn anything new today, but my skills got better! We started off with stroking and crossovers on the ends, then we did forward and backwards crossovers. While doing the forward crossovers I learned that in order to keep my body in control I need to be looking in the center of the circle. Then for backwards crossovers, in order to keep my arm and shoulders in control I need to be looking back. This was new for me, so I do feel like the class was helpful. Next we worked on power 3’s which I desperately needed to practice and finally I suggested we work on mohawk crosses. After showing them to Coach D, she told me that my mohawks were wrong, I was making them to curvy and big. Once I made them smaller, they were a lot easier to control down the line.

Overall, I think it was a really great idea to add the Wednesday evening class. I think if my Friday private lessons were the only ones I would die a little inside...and on the ice. My Friday lessons don’t have practice ice before so I am fresh when working with my coach and for me that means inconsistency. It is definitely difficult to work on new skills a minute after stepping on the ice, but I digress. I’ll get through this session. Summer is almost here and then I will hopefully be able to skate my little heart out everyday.


No comments:

Post a Comment