Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Let’s Get Technical

The last couple weeks of summer got really technical very quickly. Now that I have been doing my bronze moves test in practice for two months, my coach has started to pick them apart. I wanted to test them in October and if I work hard I know that I can pass, but the moves need a lot of attention.

At two consecutive lessons Coach T has spent a grand total of 15 minutes explaining things to me. For example, my scratch spin that didn’t even exist a week ago needs a better entry point. Right now I am on the left outside edge, as I begin the spin it shows as a 3 turn on the ice, I drift off for about a foot and then begin spinning. Apparently I am “choosing” when to spin as opposed to letting it happen on its own. Annoyance.

My five step mohawk has also been picked apart. Every time I “think” I have a skill, I’ll practice it a few times when I get on the ice and then let it be, because it’s “good.” A week ago, Coach T said I was practicing it incorrectly, that my leg had to be straight the entire time, not bent. After spending a week working on it, we have begun tearing it apart again. I now need to work on bringing my feet together after each step before moving to the next.

Skating practice has now evolved and I’m not quite sure how I feel about it. I recently ran out of space to write in my small practice notebook so I decided to stop writing what I do at every practice. Instead I created a “reminders” skating list on my iphone with all the skills I am working on to remind myself to practice those things. Though I don’t believe it’s really working. If my lessons are getting more technical than my practices need to also get technical. I need to get back to writing everything down so that I can focus on small details of my skating.

The days of just doing a skill over and over again have passed. It’s time for me go nit pick. I am not nit picky nor am I a perfectionist, but in this sport you are always working towards perfection. So, I need to become a perfectionist. Sure I do this for fun, but if I want to compete nationally this winter I need to get more technical so that I will present myself as a real competitor even though I’ve only been on the ice for a year.

Happy Skating!

No comments:

Post a Comment