Sunday, September 11, 2016

Figure Skaters Are Insane

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results”

Figure skaters are insane, they do the same thing over and over again while expecting different results. Some may call me insane on the ice it’s because I spend way too many hours practicing, I am not insane by that definition. In fact I like to think of my work on the ice as progress through and through. I don’t fail, I definitely don’t give up on a skill, I just find several ways that a move doesn’t work before I find the one that does.


Many of my fellow skaters comment on the speed that I’ve picked up skills. A couple weeks ago, one came up to me and exclaimed, “You’re working on brackets?! Those are gold moves!.” Just a couple days ago another skater came up to me and asked, “did you just do a back 3 turn, it takes adults ages to learn them, how did you get those?” I swear I am not trying to brag here, a close friend of mine would definitely argue against that statement. But this is my blog and I say I’m not bragging. I have learned how to learn on the ice. As a teacher, I feel like the nature of my career really helps me to succeed on the ice. I wouldn’t give up on a student, so why in the world would I give up on myself?


I wouldn’t suggest a student do the same math problem over and over again incorrectly, I’d point out the step of the problem that they are missing. I think back 3 turns are a great example of my work ethic on the ice. Back 3 turns are difficult, I won’t lie, but I managed to do each about 5 times consistently on the ice after about two weeks of solid practice. What is solid practice? Doing different things over and over to “get” a move. I believe that when attempting to work on a new move without a coach present, you must act as your coach.


While working on back three’s and brackets after being introduced to them by my coach, I taught myself to analyze each step of the move. Whenever I couldn’t make the turn I would decide to change something before trying it again. For example, often times when doing a back 3, my arms would literally get in the way of my body, so I learned to check my arms and hold them in position. They start off hugging the circle, then move into position before I turn my foot. On my inside back 3’s I found that my free foot was always getting in the way of my turn, so I remembered that my coach had suggested I keep my free foot ahead of my other skating foot. The last thing I changed in the process is a bent knee. This one I learned when I challenged myself by doing double back 3’s. I noticed that in order to do several 3 turns in a row (forward to back, forward to back) I had to keep my knees flexible, moving up and down with every turn.


I know that the reason I get bored with specific moves on the ice is because I work them to death when I am first introduced to them. Coach shows me a new skill at a lesson, you know I’m about to work on it for an hour straight until I get it. It won’t be consistent by the end of that first practice, but I’m going to come as close as I possibly can at the level that I’m at.

If you’re a skater and you’re working on a difficult move, give this practice method a try. I hope that it finds you well on your way to perfecting something you’ve dreamed of. Happy Skating!

No comments:

Post a Comment