Friday, August 26, 2016

The End of Summer As I Know It

10 weeks of summer contract ice have officially come and gone. I’m so glad to get back to my normal job and have actual money again, but with that I lose my daily skating time. It won’t come as much of a shock to you that I will continue to skate for an average of 10 hours a week. Half of my week's’ ice time will happen on Wednesdays, by winter I will probably be exhausted and irritable, but it will be worth it. That is, until I manage to break myself.

These last two weeks on the ice have been incredible. It seems like my basic skills are improving because my coaches have decided to introduce me to some new skills and speed/power drills. I’ve been introduced to a new dance pattern, the Rhythm Blues, twizzles, back 3’s, a back 3’s pattern (forward crossover, forward outside 3 turn, backward crossover, back 3 - around the circle), brackets, back power pulls, back cross rolls, the half-flip from a mohawk, and “the Jenkin” (a death glide where you do a crossover, hold the cross, bend down to the side, and touch the ice with your fingers).

At every practice in these last two weeks I’ve challenged myself with moves that I am incredibly uncomfortable with. First and foremost, the scratch spin that caused the scar on my forehead. At first I was apprehensive about doing with without my coach, but after a few slow and controlled tries I would give it a rest and resume the next day. With every practice I became more comfortable with the entry. It’s not a full “scratch spin” yet, but I think I’ll have it in a couple weeks. I’ve challenged myself with the brackets and back cross rolls that I could barely do in lesson with my coach. I worked on “the Jenkin” that terrified me on day 1. I had it day 2 of working it (after doing it off-ice several times at home of course). Determined to do things that challenge me? Yes.

Summer is over and I am really pleased with my progress. I am happy to say that I met each of my on ice skating goals. My off-ice goals were not met, those included taking yoga and ballet classes, but I look forward to beginning both of those this fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment