Sunday, March 13, 2016

Understanding Your Body

After being sore for 4 days last weekend, I’ve started to do some reading on nutrition and figure skating. I figure that I must be doing something wrong if I’m this sore after months of skating, even on my 3 hour days. I thought I could handle it by now, but it’s still hard. 

I also asked my close friend for some advice about healing my sore muscles. We had an interesting conversation about heating verses icing. I remember mentioning in a previous post that the ice pack and heating pads have become my best friends, but in a short period of time that has changed. You see every body is different and some heal much better with heat and ice, while others heal better with just one. 

Through this experience I’ve learned that using a heating pad is very comfortable in the time that I use it, but ultimately doesn’t help my muscles to feel better. Icing on the other hand is somewhat painful, especially at the beginning, but really helps my muscle soreness. One of the best things about skating is getting to know more about how your body functions. Learning how it heals and how it moves will ultimately transform the way I eat, sleep, and exercise on my way to a stronger me.

No comments:

Post a Comment