Friday, May 6, 2016

I Hate Something About This Sport

It occurred to me yesterday driving home from the rink. I hate something about this sport. I was shocked, I mean I know there are positives and negatives to everything, but despite the falls, the soreness, the bruises, and the expenses I love this sport and know that there are costs associated with every success. So, when I came to this grand realization I felt normal again. I know it’s going to sound stupid, but I hate the fact that I can’t skate whenever I want.

I played several sports growing up, soccer, basketball, and tennis. If I wanted to shoot hoops I walked outside my house played in my driveway. If I wanted to play soccer I would either walk to the park by my house or I’d just kick the ball around in my backyard. Tennis? I’d drive 5 minutes to the nearest courts. I could practice those sports whenever I wanted. If it rained I could go to an inside court/field. Figure skating is oh so different.

Open skate occurs during the day from 10:30-2. On the weekends there are a couple afternoon and evening sessions, but they are filled with children attending birthday parties and couples on dates. I wish I could skate early in the morning before work or after I finish school in the evenings, but that just isn’t the case.

So, when I tell people I am headed to the rink to skate at a specific time they usually say things along the lines of, “well can’t you just go later?” or “can’t you be late for skating?” No actually, it doesn’t work like that (insert eye roll here). I know my body can’t stand me right now, I want to skate all the time. I guess it’s not a bad thing that I am limited by the times at the rink. On the other hand, I can’t keep paying for somewhat mediocre classes in the evenings just so that I can get ice time.

It’s good that I’ve found something I don’t like about this sport, it was about time. Life isn’t all rainbows and butterflies...even if I want it to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment