Monday, December 21, 2015

The Very Beginning

After reading about 10 books in two weeks during the start of my winter break, I got bored and didn’t know what to do with myself. I am not the type of person who can just sit at home and watch TV all day, sure if I am sick and need some rest I’ll do it, but it is difficult! I knew that I needed to do something productive with my time and I definitely was not ready to start looking for a full time job as a teacher. After accepting a full time substitute position for the second semester at a local high school, I knew that I was satisfied. As a teacher, there is always work to do outside of the classroom, as a substitute, there is no work that has to be done after the school day is over. So, I had to find something else to put my energy into.


I began skating during my winter break, I had just graduated, finished my student teaching, finally I was free. About a year ago, I found a pair of new (and very cheap) figure skates online, so I purchased them for no reason at all. Each year my friends and I go skating in Campus Martius park in downtown Detroit, so I figured it would be an investment. I wouldn’t have to rent disgusting skates and I could get used to my own blades. So, thankfully in beginning this process I had my own skates.


The first day on the ice was miserable, sure I never fell, but I didn’t really move either. It was a “slow day” for the first hour of the free skate, I held on to the wall with my life, barely moving. I circled around like that, somehow I didn’t get bored. I was so eager to learn. I learned to skate awkwardly in the second hour and slowly but surely, I let go of the wall. I didn’t exactly get much further from the wall, but I was no longer hanging on to it with my life. That’s progress right?



No comments:

Post a Comment