Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Competition Is In Just 3 Days! AHHHH!

I can’t believe it’s already June! This (school) year has flown by and I have officially been skating for 5 months! My first competition is coming up this weekend, can you believe I am competing after such a short time on the ice? I don’t believe it and I am clearly unprepared for what’s ahead.

This past month has been program work month, I’ve hardly had a chance to learn new skills. I’m frustrated because I had made leaps and bounds of progress in the first 4 months of skating and then month five was a quick halt. Like hold the phone, we need to actually make these skills look decent all strung together in a program. Program logic: Take everything you’ve learned in the last four months and cram it into a minute and a half with music and choreography. That’s a nice joke.

While working through this program my coach mentioned that I could take my pre-bronze test after I compete, the first available testing date is in mid June, but I am not quite sure I want to take it on just yet. I’ve spent a month working on my program, so spending another month working on just moves might kill me. I want to learn new skills! Coach T showed me the half flip and Salchow in the last couple minutes of a private lesson about a month ago, she said they would be the next two jumps that I’d learn, but I haven’t had the opportunity to work on them because I’ve been working on my program.

I now understand why most adults just don’t do the whole competing and testing thing! They want to spend their time learning and practicing the skills they enjoy. I think I still want to test and compete, I just think that I should be more strategic about my timing. For example, I shouldn’t have scheduled my first competition during the school year when it’s difficult to find time to practice around my work schedule.

Since it’s the first of the month and I should be blogging my monthly progress I am going to do to it in a separate post, though I feel like I really haven’t learned much, argh!

No comments:

Post a Comment